Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Weaving Zen

The snowflake twill warp is now off the loom and complete. 



I feel very pleased with how they turned out.  There were two scarves but I'm only showing you one today.   If I showed you both, then one would be your favourite and I think they both are lovely and deserve equal billing.   This one is the  brash, louder version. The "show off" if you like....


The warp is the new ecru shade of 8/2 tencel at Web's, sett 24 epi and despite the complexity of the pattern, its only eight shafts and eight treadles.  The weft is 8/2 tencel in silver.  In the picture above, it almost looks like it has a touch of blue to it. While weaving it I was amazed at how blue it did look... almost a wedgwood blue. That was indoors in warm lighting and outdoors, it turns silver.
  


 Its a twill progression, with point twill in-between and on the borders.  The first I saw of this design it was being used by Jane Evans and Gudrun Weisinger and I fell in love with it. You can find the design in Weavers Magazine, or in their compilation "Twill Thrills". I modified the draft to fit my scarf  dimensions.    If this sort of twill is something that you like and want to learn more you can find information in:
  • Weavers magazine issues 13 and 18 ( and maybe more! ) For those of you with access to older copies as its now out of print.
  • An older post of mine here   (have you checked out Topic Shopping above?)
  • Heddle Craft  is a new online weaving publication by Robyn Spady, which features twill progressions, or advancing twills as come call it in her first issue. Check it out!
  • Twill Thrills and Madelyn van der Hoogt's  Complete Book of Drafting for Handweavers


I have woven many many projects of snow flake twill over the years and so now have the treadling run embedded in my brain. I don't need a cheat sheet any longer.   It does seem like I must work to keep my attention on the task at hand though!   Have you ever driven a car and got to your destination and then realize that you can't recall how you got there? You did it on "cruise control" of the brain?  

I did that with weaving this time.   I was saying the twill runs out loud and had a good pace going.... and then I zoned out (or zen as some weavers like to say). When I came to again by repeating some numbers which to my zenned brain were too soon to be repeated again, I stopped and really looked down at the cloth. It was quite something and none of it resembled a snowflake or even twill.

OOPs.....

I had to cut the weft out as I would have to step on almost every treadle, every time to find the right one.   Sadly I forgot to take a picture.   I can't recommend weaving on autopilot unless you have a dobby loom.

So this scarf measures 8 inches by 76 inches and has a long delicate fringe.

Next time.... its quieter cousin ......and a visit by a genuine antique.

6 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Absolutely stunning! I used my loom for the first time this past weekend & can't even imagine weaving something so complex. Your work is beautiful.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Gorgeous!

Peg Cherre said...

It is absolutely fabulous. I know what you mean about always having a favorite, I think it's unavoidable, but I wonder if everyone will have the same fav, or if we'll like different ones....that's what I find with my customers, anyway.

Dianne said...

Stunning perfection.

Helz said...

Just reread this blog Susan and yes, your scarf above is beautiful. How much is it? Or have you sold it?

Susan said...

Hello Helz...

I still have both scarves and they are for sale at my Etsy shop Thrums Textiles. There is a link at the top right of my blog page. Just click on the picture and it will take you right there.

Thanks for writing... Susan