Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Gathering Together



Its been unseasonably cold here on Vancouver Island..... and even colder elsewhere. Lots of snow and chilly temperatures all over. Well, at least here in the northern hemisphere!  I found the picture above on line, but it easily could have been taken here with fog among the trees.  These two pictures below are from our upper deck yesterday morning, and it was minus 5 degrees Celsius:



Okay, not really cold compared to some places right now but cold enough to get your attention! Seems like Old Man Winter is off to a good start this year.

Calli *loves* the snow!
I somehow felt that acquiring (gathering) snow tires would be a good thing and to do it early this year and so Bruce has brand new Toyo winter treads on the Santa Fe and we have AWD if need be. Its a darn good thing I had that urge to be ready ahead of the snow as I'm traveling by a moderately high mountain highway to Victoria this coming Thursday for my surgery!   I have to BE THERE for 7:30 am......that's plain nasty! It doesn't mean I'm first up either and may still have a further wait ahead of me....



I'm now in the process of making up a list of what I would like to bring along, and what I need to bring along! ( and have it all fit in a small overnight bag). Its hardly a vacation, but I'd rather have the items there to hand than having to wait for Bruce to bring them in the next day.

All the medical people I talk to have been telling me that so much has changed since I had my first hip replaced thirteen years ago in 2001.   The first thing I noticed is how short the stay is, especially when you consider what they are doing to me!  2001: they quoted 4-6 days and I stayed 6. Now they tell you: 2-3 days. We'll see how that goes!

For my homecoming  I have also been gathering together books, DVD's and some small hand work projects to do while initially recovering.  I have books and recent Vav and Handwovens and also the Complex Weavers Journals to read. Then I have a lace scarf I'm knitting away on and also some small amulet knit beaded bags are under way too.  I was going to warp up the table loom but they told me that sitting for any length of time like that would be better served if my legs were elevated. (you swell up pretty good!)  If I am able to sit, then I might as well try treadling instead and move the legs and I have the recent scarf project  still on the Louet Spring.

It crossed my mind that I may not be able to change tie up's on that loom for some time (3-4 months?) as you can't bend forward and straining the operated site for fear of a dislocation or rupture internal stitches.  So there may be variations of the box pattern showing up for some time to come!   I'll play with the draft on the computer and see what else I can dream up with the same tie up.

So lots of plans for my time, but the reality will be something else I'm sure!    Lots of cat naps as sleeping at night is tricky. Its hurts to move in bed and laying in one position isn't good either.  Since you need help to shift  and rearrange all the support pillows( and just about anything else for a while) Bruce will be helping me move about and later napping himself when I am (if he's smart!)



Bruce is a good cook in the kitchen so no worries there!  We are however working on how to manage a washing machine with all its water levels, temperatures and additives such as soap and softener.   The complexities of darks versus lights.... hand wash versus gentle cycle.   The "hang to dry" over the "tumble to a crisp" on high heat!     I'm sure he will do just fine (... failing that,  I can buy new duds.... with his credit card.  :)

Christmas, such as it will is and will be, is all done.  The cards are gathered and ready for mailing come Monday or Tuesday.  There's no tree this year and no lights. We'll put up the Christmas cards we receive and I have one Christmas ball that is netted with bobbin lace out on its hanger already.
Done!

I'm also systematically giving all house plants a good soaking as no one will even think about them for a time!

So you may have figured out by now that all this is a "self created distraction" that is designed to keep me from thinking too much about what's to come!


I'm having a full general..... so start to count backwards.....


I know that there are some rough days ahead but also good ones too as I heal. I already know that the end result is worth it.  Its a process much like weaving where you have to lay the ground work for a good final finish !

I''ll be back soon.....  see you on the other side of this!


16 comments:

Cindie said...

My best to you for a uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery. From friends that have had the same years ago and recently it has all changed and their recoveries were much quicker the second surgery. I wish the same for you. Be safe on your travels to and fro too......

karensspinzen said...

There was a study done in England some years ago that showed that patients had better outcomes if people were praying for them (even if the patient was unaware of this)!
How much better it must be if you're aware of all our best wishes!

Yarnspider said...

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.
My Mother had her hip replaced and was home within 48 hours! And now 3 weeks later, we are having to restrain her from doing far too much as she feel so much better!

Once again wishing you all the best and a quick stay.

Anonymous said...

Susan, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I send you warm wishes for a quick recovery. Best to you and Bruce for a very happy holiday!

Elizabeth said...

My very best wishes to you for safe travels, a very short pre-op wait, smooth and complication-free surgery, a very rapid recovery, and pain-free mobility in the future.

You certainly do seem to be very well prepared in every way!

Louisa said...

Thinking good thoughts for you, Susan! Hope all goes quickly and well. Also for Bruce, especially when he's doing the laundry. ;)

Dianne said...

Sending positive energy your way. Expecting all to go well and to hear you're back at the loom in no time.

barbara said...

Hi Susan - the best of luck with your surgery on Thursday. You are in my prayers that it goes well and for a speedy recovery. You seem to be on top of things, and I am sure Bruce will handle all the chores he needs to handle getting you through the recovery period. Take it easy and take lots of time to rest and let your body heal. Hugs .... Barbara

spinne said...

All the best from Austria!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Susan, Prayers for a quick recovery cheri from Southern California. Your snow looks beautiful.

Dee said...

Sending you all good thoughts for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!

marlenetoerien@gmail.com said...

HI Susan, thinking of you, you are such an inspiration to me in South Africa where we are such a few weavers

marlenetoerien@gmail.com said...

Thinking of you! luckily you have Bruce as a support!

Threadbare Designs said...

I'm a bit late to this party because of work schedules, but I am sending strong healing thoughts your way, Susan!! You've taught a lot of us so much about weaving, as well as a bit about your neck of the woods. Now is your time to sit back and watch us reap what you have sown. I'm sure you'll be back at the loom in no time!!

Peg Cherre said...

Sending you all sorts of positive, healing thoughts, Susan! And support to Doug, too.

Sharon said...

Your attitude is great. I love how you're almost treating it like a vacation. Just remember that the recovery time is less than childbirth and when you're past it, you'll have painfree mobility with many happy weaving days to come.