Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

All the Pretty Things


Don't you just love dahlias? They are the one flower that I enjoy having in the house. The rest I leave outside and enjoy them there.

Simple pleasures...

When it comes to weaving, I have been exploring the ever complex twill and after a while, you start to wonder where to go next. Still mulling over my options, but for now I'm still with twill but less complex in the draft, threading and treadling. It makes a nice change actually!   I've offered you glimpses of them under way here and here.  

I wove Swedish 'drall vav' kitchen towels (or turned twill) as my first project when I got my Woolhouse Tools loom brand new back in the summer of 1998 and it was time to revisit it again.  This time I'm using 8/2 (or 2/8) tencel in deep teal, sett 24 epi.  I'm using 8 shafts and so have two blocks of 1/3 and 3/1 twill.

The weaving was fun and not complicated. No 'cheater sheet' to keep track was required and I wove away till I have roughly 72".  I think the hardest part was choosing the colours for weft, which were also tencel.  :)



Here's the purple one on the fringing board. I left about 12 inches for fringes as I like lots of room to move.


Coral looks rather peachy here doesn't it against the teal?

Next up was adding some sparkle. I  didn't want it to overwhelm but just be there  in a subtle way. That's the magenta weft below:




I like to get out my beads and look at all the options available but usually settle on 2 to 4 types and  make it up as I go along. The first couple I play with and then go with my final choices the rest of the way across..... and the other end of the scarf  of course! I have fun with this part  and it didn't take too long to get them all done.

Next up was hand washing them in the laundry tub, a spin out in the washing machine and hanging to (nearly) dry. They were still damp when I gave them a good hard pressing this afternoon and then trimmed up the fringes neat with a rotary cutter.  I think they turned out great!  What do you think?




I think the magenta weft is my personal favourite....




The purple / teal combo sure had drama and is quite iridescent.





... But its the coral / peachy weft scarf that has been left on Madge Manikin for visitors to the studio. Simple little boxes stacked in rows...


Enjoy the last flowers of summer.... I have the vase in my studio and thought I'd share them with you.



15 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree, the magenta weft is very very nice ! Great scarves and lovely pictures of 'the process' !
D

Yarndude said...

I'm new to your blog (as of about a month ago) and I have to say, all of your weaving blows me away! I'm currently a non-weaver, but I drool over woven fabric, especially twills. I torture myself by reading about weaving and watching videos and all that knowing that it's going to be a very, very long time before I can have a loom of my own. Anyway, those scarves look incredible!

karensspinzen said...

They're gorgeous! You've got me thinking thoughts of tencel warps... I can hardly wait to be able to play with my own!

Dee said...

Absolutely stunning! I aspire to weave so skillfully. Do you hemstitch? How are the beads attached?

Linda said...

Once again, Susan, exquisite work happening in your studio! Always an inspiration........

DebbieB said...

Omigosh, Susan - so beautiful! I love the iridescence and the structure. And of course, your beautiful beaded touches.

Ate said...

Der lila Schal ist der Schönere. Aber vom Muster sind beide sehr gut gelungen. Liebe Grüße von Ate

Anonymous said...

Susan, each and every one of the scarves are wonderful. I always like it when you add your trademark beading, looks just lovely.

Cindie said...

The iridescence is incredible - love them all. I love turned twills and have woven with larger blocks like this too - why is this called drall? Is that name interchangeable with turned twill or is it the particular style of threading? I'd love to know.

Acorn to Oak said...

Gorgeous!

Loree Jackson said...

Both are so beautiful!

heather said...

love your work as always :) same question as cindie...what exactly is drall?

Susan said...

Hi everyone.... thanks for all the comments and questions. I was in Victoria for the whole day and using my mobile to publish your comments as we made our way around town. Ain't technology grand?!

Yarndude: if you get in contact with a local weavers guild in your area, then you'll be able to buy a good used loom. The members will also help you choose one that is right for you. Lessons too no doubt!

Dee: yes, I hemstitch on the loom. I don't like the look of loose weft threads next to the twisted fringe. I want everything tucked up tight, so it lasts a long time and you have a happy scarf owner!

Cindie: Swedish weavers call it Drall vav (with two little dots above the a's). I think its the classic 3/1 versus the 1/3 and could be done on 8, 12 or 16 shafts. I'm assuming it is interchangeable with turned twill.
{they also call crackle, jamslandtvav so its a communication thing. Good to know interchangeable names as you might come across such things in various books.

Hopefully that answers your question too Heather!

I had a visitor to the studio this morning and the coral/ teal scarf almost sold before it was 24 hours old! We were heading to Costco otherwise she would have taken it right there and then! (she should have bought the scarf.. it was cheaper than her shopping trip!)

:) Susan

Cindie said...

Thank you for the answer Susan. Many times I've done turned twill I've used a 2/2 tie-up so maybe that's a difference too, I didn't realize your scarves were 3/1 - 1/3. They are lovely!

Sharon said...

We're going to embark on a weave/study topic of iridescence next month. I'm completely intimidated but excited for the opportunity to get my hands dirty. Beryl assures me that I can do it, even on four harnesses, and sent the link to your post today. Wow! I can't wait for the first session. It looks like magic.