Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Treasures

Happy New Year!


For Christmas, my darling daughter had this Harry and David "tower of treats' sent to us. Our very first time getting a gift like this! What a neat surprize to find this on your door step. So what's inside you ask?

Raspberry shortbread, mixed nuts, chocolate covered cherries, and truffle chocolates .....

Some candied popcorn and fresh pears ( for the healthy part of the tower of treats :) The truffles took a hard hit right away (okay, they are gone) ... and the pears are ripening. Thanks Petunia!

This is my spinning wheel and Santa Hubby arranged for a nice accessory! A Woolee Winder (and two bobbins). It seems my hubby's timing for this order was very good. The box arrived on December 20th just before we left. The other night I went to their web page and saw this notice:

A fire (on Dec 22nd) destroyed the mobile home on the property that we run the business out of. We lost ALL completed product we had in inventory as well as my office, our wood finishing area, and our lunchroom and restroom areas.
The Good News is we have all of our production equipment and all company and customer data, and we shipped the last of the "Christmas gift" orders 3 hours before it all went up in smoke.
(emphasis is mine.)
We are not out of business!! We are working on replenishing our stock and filling orders as we can. We will be slow in shipping orders for a few weeks while we get things back together.

I thank you for you understanding and support as we go through this rebuilding p rocess.

Nathan Lee


This makes my woolee winder extra special!
I have to finish filling the current regular bobbin and then set up the woolee winder. It has a worm gear in the arm that means the yarn winding on is continuously wound on it moves up and down the arm. No more 'lumps and humps' on the bobbin. You get even fill and actually more yarn on the bobbin. The Majacraft wheel is so smooth to treadle and this will make the experience even better. I'm such a spoilt brat.... :)
{ I was happy to contribute to the spinning wheel fund in my daughter's house this Christmas. She's a very excited girl waiting for her Kromski Prelude wheel to arrive. Seems the drop spindle I sent was just the right bait and the hook set well. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree! }

I took the picture of the winder on the top of my lap top and didn't notice the Dell disc until later... oops! It makes it hard to see the gear.

We had a grand week with my MIL, Lorraine and the time went so fast. The Tuesday before Christmas we had a lunch with Lynnette and her husband Michael as our guests. It was a lovely time with great conversation and ..... presents! I had mailed their gifts to them to ensure they would be under the tree ... and save room in our luggage! I'm now the proud owner of my very first pair of hand knit socks! They are *wonderful*... the fit and feel is great. Lynnette said she knit them 'toe up' and they have no seams. I'm in love with them and wish I could knit myself MORE! But I'd have to learn to knit to do that :)

They fit nicely and hubby has been warned off... "mine!"

There was a knit scarf from Ngaire (who told me her mother was behind it). Its a fuzzy joy to wear and, of course, matches the socks!


It was a memorable Christmas and it's over for another year. I've a busy month ahead and hopefully there's some weaving in it. The carpenter who's building our new kitchen is bringing over the new doors to show us tomorrow so the fun and games is starting very soon! I have a kitchen to pack up and we'll be living on sandwiches and out of boxes for the duration.
I also plan to keep on weaving too and will start the year as I plan to continue.... by preparing a warp and spending some time today weaving. I brought in the New Year at midnight by spinning!

10 comments:

charlotte said...

It looks like you had a great Christmas! And the socks have such a lovely pattern. Happy new year!

Delighted Hands said...

I sympathize over the truffles....the spinning wheel is a beauty-enjoy your spinning with the new woolee winder!

Cindie said...

Oh, I saw that sad news on the Woolee Winder site the other day when I was trying to decide which wheel will get one - my Majacraft or Lendrum. Most probably the Majacraft since I tend to cart that one around more for spinning. I'm not in a rush so I'm willing to wait but I guess I should place my order soon.

Very yummy tower of treats you got!If you ever get down here to Southern Oregon Harry & David's is right here and has tours of the factory, especially fun in the fall when they're working on holiday items.

Happy New Year!
Cindie

Theresa said...

LOL, I see Cindie beat me to it. Harry & David is right in Medford OR and I think you can even take tours. f course they have an outlet store also.
Nice woollie winder. Think of all the sock yarn you could spin! ;-)
Glad you had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year!

Life Looms Large said...

Looks like you had a wonderful holiday. I love the tower of treats!!! (Maybe I should say that in my blog as a hint for next year!!)

That's quite a story about your Woolee Winder. So nice of your husband to figure it out and get it for you!

Good luck with the kitchen reno!! (I definitely will not tell you the things my SIL is saying about hers at this point. I hope yours goes smoothly!!! Of course, you were able to weave during a household water-leaking event....so maybe your tolerance for household disorder and change is pretty high!)

Sue

Lynnette said...

Amazing Tower of Gifts! Your daughter seems to have sent just the right gift for a gal who has everything! I'm amazed to hear about the Woollie Winder fire, you really were very fortunate to receive yours it before it all went up in smoke! I can't wait to hear your opinion on the Woollie Winder, it sounds like a perfect tool to make spinning even more of a treat! Just the fact that you should get more yardage on a bobbin is a real plus. Thinking of you and your kitchen reno....hang in there!

Bruce said...

TRUFFLES???? THERE WERE TRUFFLES???

I want an increase in my allowance so I can buy my own TRUFFLES!!!

Hub

Susan said...

Oh, to the contrary.... I had three and so did you.
You did eat ALL the nuts... and choc popcorn...and half the shortbread.

When I get an increase in my allowance, you can have one too.

Da Wife

Susan said...

OH... and you ate the choc covered cherries! I had *one*

You being sick was no defense.

:) Susan

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the tower! Love you guys <3
Beautiful socks! I've been feeling the itch to knit some socks lately, but I'm still working away at the tree of life afghan. (and the zig zag mitts G *had* to have lol)

Still anxiously waiting for my wheel to arrive- thank-you both so much for helping me catch the bug and get my first wheel.

PS
the banter back and forth about who ate what is adorable :)